The Global Jihadi Threat
Islam is a faith of richness and complexity that has manifested itself over time in a broad variety of ways. Unfortunately, it is also used as the basis for the violent ideologies of the Global Jihad. Understanding the fundamentals behind the religion (as well as concepts such as Jihad), the background with respect to the Islamic community’s relationship to the West, the position of Muslims in modern-day Western societies and the various permutations of extremist Islamic ideologies is critical in helping policy makers, law enforcement personnel and governmental administrators at various levels relate to Islam and Muslims in an informed manner while also being able to effectively counteract extremist activities and ideas.
Learning Objectives. Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Display a greater understanding of the origin, basic principles and central divisions in Islam.
- Display a greater understanding of the role of Jihad in Islam.
- Display an understanding of some of the underpinnings of the complex relationship between the Islamic World and the West.
- Display an understanding of the ideas and religious doctrine of Muslim extremists as manifested by Islamist and Jihadist organizations.
- Display a greater understanding of problems of integration of Muslims into Western societies and the factors affecting the radicalization process.