Alumni Short Talks: Beats Thinking: Detecting Deception & Eliciting Truth
In the age of information explosion and unrelenting bombardment with opinions indistinguishable from news, how do we pay attention? Watch as Nick Catrantzos, a “pracademic” with stratcolab, reveals his secret: analyzing content for deception. Nick presents two underappreciated ways of spotting deception and an even more obscure way of eliciting truth from people who might not otherwise give you the time of day. Try them out, and your conversations may never be the same. (Recorded on February 18, 2020, at the Annual CHDS Alumni APEX Workshop, Monterey, CA.)
About the Speaker
Nick Catrantzos started out as an intelligence case officer whose wartime mission was interrogation. He has been a security director, has passed for a college professor, and posed as a minor authority on insider threats — which was the subject of his award-winning thesis and a related textbook, Managing the Insider Threat: No Dark Corners. (Chapter 6 takes a deep dive into the detection of deception.) Nick remains a licensed investigator who enjoys writing feature stories for a small community magazine.
- Frequently refreshed cases, Peter Hyatt’s blog, http://statement-analysis.blogspot.com
- Additional refreshed case studies, Don Rabon’s online newsletter, Hamlet’s Mind, http://www.hamletsmind.com
- Mark McLish’s website, http://www.statementanalysis.com/cases/
- Reid Technique – book and training available via https://www.reid.com
- Wicklander-Zulawski – book and training available via https://www.w-z.com
- Avinoam Sapir, http://www.lsiscan.com
- Chapter 6, Managing the Insider Threat: No Dark Corners, https://www.amazon.com/Managing-Insider-Threat-Dark-Corners/dp/1439872929/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
- Raymond F. Toliver, in collaboration with Hanns J. Scharff, The Interrogator: The Story of Hanns Scharff, Luftwaffe’s Master Interrogator, Fallbrook, CA: Aero Publishers, 1978.
Alternate video location: https://www.chds.us/?media/openmedia&id=3579
View all Alumni Short Talks.